Mike Reid presented a very informative and engaging talk to a big audience on the implementation of the government's wellbeing framework at a local level - this was a joint IPANZ and Auckland Council event.
Some of the key points from the session included:
- Grant Robertson was charged with developing a budget that was focussed on outcomes and wellbeing
- GDP as looks a the economy, but wellbeing is far wider and broader than this
- He described the Welsh government and local government prioritised a well-being agenda setting up well-being boards
- Need to deepen democracy by strengthening voice and active involvement of citizens
- Council gets 11% of all public spending in NZ = have we got the balance right?
- Significant benefit in central and local government working a lot more closely together to identify policy/programme/ service gaps
- Decentralisation is not a new idea – do we just keep flipping from one back to the other?
Please note that you can read a full article written by Mike Reid in our December issue of the Public Sector Journal