The Institute of Public Administration New Zealand (IPANZ) provides seminars, training and networking to promote improvements in public sector policy and administration.
We provide a forum for our members to learn, share and debate new ideas, and celebrate excellence.
- Lunchtime seminars to hear views and insights from practitioners across the sector
- Early evening lectures to hear from expert speakers and question and discuss the issues raised
- ‘Meet the Chiefs’ breakfast seminars, and networking activities for New Professionals
- The Public Sector quarterly journal, free to members
- Training events, such as Parliament in Practice
- Biennial New Professionals Conference
- 150 corporate members
- Over 9,000 people on our database
- Organisations from across the public sector including central government and Crown agencies, universities, and private sector companies who work with government.
- About 3000 people attend our seminars and training events annually
In 1934 a group of public servants in Christchurch, moved by ‘their desire to learn something of the broader background and common principles of public administration which might not be evident in the ordinary work of a department’, formed the Public Service Administration Society. Similar societies quickly cropped up in Wellington, Dunedin and Auckland. In 1936 these groups joined forces to become the New Zealand Institute of Public Administration.
Born in the dark days of the Depression, the Institute has made its way through the disruption of World War II, the stable post-war years, the economic and social challenges of the sixties and seventies and the reforms of the eighties to the position it now holds; the professional organisation committed to the development and promotion of informed debate and critical analysis. Seventy years on, the present members of the Institute can be confident that they are on the same path as the founders, for whom the first objective in the Rules of 1936 was ‘the development of the public service as a recognised profession’. - Spirit of Service: A History of the Institute of Public Administration New Zealand 1936-2006, John R. Martin
Eighty-five years on, IPANZ continues to have a significant place in New Zealand public policy and is New Zealand’s leading professional organisation for public servants.